Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Portfolio - Am I using it right?

Rudi Louw April 17, 2018

Hi,

Within our company, we are evaluation Jira Portfolio for the 3rd time to see if it answers some of our basic questions before starting to use the more advanced value-add functionalities.

We have 4 product teams developing product functionality, but delivered within external projects, ranging on average anything between 1 and 6 sprints. We are now starting to properly plan a project delivery the actual number of sprints ahead, so that we can see the impact of carry overs (and "brought in") stories on the project, so that we can clearly communicate this impact early on during delivery.

Playing with Portfolio, I expect certain behavior at a basic level, the first of which is that a Portfolio Plan can show you a simple Roadmap of your already planned sprints. This works well at the start, but as soon as I complete a story, Portfolio pulls a future sprint story automatically into the current sprint, which I do not want to happen.

The same goes for carry overs, as soon as I carry over a story to the next sprint in Jira, I would like portfolio to still show me my plans, but maybe just indicate the impact? So if I just carried over the story without replanning the future sprints, I'm expecting Portfolio to just highlight my Velocity over-commitment.

I'm starting to think I'm missing the plot of what Portfolio should be used for and that I should be looking for a different tool here, but the normal roadmap tool is way to manual and can quickly get out of sync from your actual sprint plans.

Thank you in advance for any comments

Rudi

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events