Structure: Create folders that match Components?

Paul Fox January 15, 2018

Hi,

Looking for a way to possibly automate the creation of Structure folders based on Components.

I'd like to be able to create new issues, assign them to various Components and then have Structure folders show up with the same names as Components and containing those issues assigned to the Component the folder is named for.

Extra points if sub-Components could be hierarchically positioned correctly in Structure as well!

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post.

The first part of your problem can definitely be resolved using our Automation feature, specifically our "Grouper" generator.

To enable the automation feature, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on the ‘Automation’ button (will be highlighted in gray when activated)

2. Make sure you're focusing on the top level of your structure (the row with your structure's name will be highlighted)

3. Click on the "+" sign next to the automation button

4. From the drop-down menu, select 'Group'

5. Then choose "Component/s"

This will automatically create folders with your Components' names and group your issues accordingly. If you double-click on the generator row for this grouper, it will allow you to edit the parameters of your Grouper. You will notice a box that is checked for "Allow changes via Structure". This will allow you to drag and drop issues between folders and change the component accordingly, these changes will be reflected in Jira as well.

As for the "sub-component" part, this is not currently supported in Jira. However, I understand that you want to create some sort of a "cascading" hierarchy, with nested issues? We do have a feature request for this functionality but we don't have a timeline yet. If interested, I can make sure you get notified when the feature is ready.

For now, I was thinking maybe you can sort your sub-items by Component/s within your folders. Maybe you can even add a Component column to your structure. I think at least it would improve your issue visibility a little bit.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance or if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,

Vlad

www.almworks.com

Paul Fox January 17, 2018

Thanks Vlad!

I had a feeling you guys had something for this.

One reason I hadn't figured it out on my own is that I am not getting the "+" next to the Automation button.

I think this is probably due to a permissions issue. Someone else on our team can see the "+" as well as the word "Automation" next to the button which I don't see. I am set as Administrator for the project, but I think I may need to get set to a group also. Looking into it...

Also, it turns out we probably aren't going to be using sub-components but I would still like to know whenever you add support for that feature relating to cascading hierarchy.

Thanks again,

-Paul

Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

You're welcome, Paul!

You are correct. Most likely, you don't currently belong to any Jira groups with permission to access automation. But please let me know if you need some assistance with that.

We will gladly notify you when the feature becomes available. Do you mind shooting me a quick note so I can have your email address to do so?

I can be reached at vlad@almworks.com

Cheers!

Vlad

ALM Works, Inc.

www.almworks.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events