I've used jira for I guess more than 8 years now and it's always seemed to be an uphill climb to understand both the team and individual performance. More - it has always seemed Atlassian would prefer you didn't.
I understand the variables and that raw figures are not the whole story.
But having autonomy over work, accepting and committing to it gives teams and individuals a freedom that doesn't come when the default view is vague. At the executive level development is seen as a dark art and viewed suspiciously. And this is exaggerated when there is difficulty in providing transparency against originals and things like tracking of hours for billing. Without add-ons, or exporting and manipulating data.
Like others I've worked out a few ways around it, I just don't understand why Atlassian seems to work against it. Kanban boards currently don't even allow for estimation in their settings.
Is this a deliberate decision by Atlassian and if so, why?