I am little confused how the 'order by rank' works in JIRA projects. On what basis the values are assigned when using 'order by rank asc'?
There is a (mostly hidden) field called "global rank". If you re-rank things (usually by moving them on a board), then that field is updated, and that's what Jira sorts on when you use "order by rank". New issues automatically take a new rank at the bottom of the pile when created.
Hi @Hari Prasath P,
Here is some documentation that may help:
Ranking an Issue
-Scott
Hi @Scott Theus,
Thanks a lot. The link was useful to know how ranking works. But, I had few doubts regarding the changes in issues rank. So, referred this link and got it cleared.
Cheers,
Hari Prasath P
Is rank something anyone can change through their own scrum boards or kanban boards, or through "portfolio plan" view? Is there a way to restrict ranking to certain user group?
Thanks @Scott Theus the documentation referenced was very useful for me, and saves lots for time I was expending manually sorting issues in my Kanban board. Good reference !!
I was trying to resolve this issue as well. These answers above unfortunately only game me half the story. I hope the solution below helpsSo I would suggest rather than using
ORDER BY RANK DESC
which uses the Global Rank Setting you instead use
ORDER BY priority DESC
I achieved this by trial and error but finally found this in the documentation here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-ranking/
There is no "issue" here, it was a question about how ranking works.
Changing the order to look at priority disables ranking, making the backlog and board a lot less useful.
Legend, thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Thank you Nic. This helped me. I wanted to sort my board by priority, not rank.
Global Ranking makes sense for issues, but when looking in Initiatives and wanting to change the Epics order (but not by priority), how does one change the hidden Global Ranking to be able to order the Epics in an Initiative the way one wants?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.