Our organization would like to create epics in one project that contain children (stories, tasks) that live in other projects backlogs. This would allow us to see all the pieces associated with an Initiative in a single Jira project. I'm trying to determine a dynamic way to create filters for the parent project and the child projects without hard coding "epic links" or other ways to identify this relationship.
Example - Project A has epics that contain stories in other projects.
Epic A-1 has children:
Story AAA-1 (belongs to project AAA)
Story AAA-2 (belongs to project AAA)
Story BBB-1 (belongs to project BBB)
Story CCC-2 (belongs to project CCC)
I currently have a board filter for project A that looks like:
(issuetype=epic and project = A) or "Epic Link" in (A-1,A-2,...)
This allows the board to show all epics associated with project A and children associated with project A's epics. The problem is I have to hard code the "Epic Link" values to find the children.
I don't think I can solve this with native Jira, so I'm open to add-ons that might work. We are using Jira Cloud or other ideas to build this globally hierarchal backlog.