When we first starting using Jira in our company a few years ago before I joined the team it was setup incorrectly whereby projects were setup under a project number field (custom field) and components were setup under the project field.
E.g. (The current situation)
Project = CSS
Project Number (custom field) = NNNNNN - Client Website Update
Realistically this should be the other way round (The goal I would like to achieve)
e.g.
Project = NNNNNN - Client Website Update
Component = CSS/Database etc...
Unfortunately because it has been three or so years since it was first introduced and configured we have a huge bulk of projects/defects/requirements etc.. stored on there.
I'm just wanting to understand what the impact would be of amending this, and what I can do to resolve this outside of obviously a creating a new instance of Jira.
Any help would be greatly appreciated on the matter.