Hi
I can download issues to excel with no problem, but I notice that not all the information in the Description field is being downloaded. Is there a character size limit for fields? Am I able to change this?
Thanks
Hi Therese,
I've tested here adding a text with 1000 words on the description and opened the downloaded file on Google Sheets and the description is correct.Can you please let us know how many words the description has? What software are you using to open the file? Is it Excel or another spreadsheet software?Can you test using Google Sheets?
Regards,Angélica
Hi Angelica
The issue description in question has 251 characters. I have another issue description with 435 characters where all the description has been exported, the next issue has 255 characters but not all the description has exported. I can do a cut and paste directly from Jira into excel for the full description with no problem (but a little frustrating for 1300 issues). I am using Excel. How do you export from Jira cloud to Google sheets?
You can export as CSV and then open Google Sheets > Choose "Blank" > File > Open > Upload > Select a file from your computer.
I have tested this in Google sheets and it copies across all the information. Unfortunately this is not an acceptable resolution as when I try to save from Google sheets to Excel only the first line is retained.
Then I had a light bulb moment. It was only those issues that had formatting in Jira that did not copy across all of the description.
I changed the formatting in Jira to include bold text and all the description field information was downloaded to Excel
I changed the formatting in Jira to include underline and not all of the description field information was downloaded to Excel
It appears that when underline is used in Jira the download to Excel is limited to 255 characters, though not always as I found some cells where the cut off occurred at 252 cells.
I used the LEN function to count the characters and did not test all cells where description had been cut off.
Is this something that will be looked at to rectify?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.