I would like to see, if I can only post sub-tasks to the scrum board without having to also post the stories that they are tied to. Is this possible?
Hi @Cliff Perea,
I don't think so. You can't add a subtask to the backlog. In a scrum backlog, there are no subtasks.
So, if you create a sprint from your backlog, you can only add stories to that sprint (because there are no subtasks in the backlog). Subtasks are automatically added to the same sprint as the story.
@Cliff Perea
Boards are only a view of specified filter results, they only show what's in the filter. You can also place filters "ontop" of filters with rich filters and board configurations.
So if a filter specifies something like project = project X AND issuetype = sub-task, then the board will show only project X sub-tasks and nothing else (no stories, epics, features, etc.)
A second option would be to use a quickfilter under the board/ configure/ quickfilter. The board filter would be project = project X and the quick filter would be issuetype = sub-task. The board itself will only show sub-tasks.
Hope this helps,
Ryan
Hi @Thomas Schlegel,
Thank you for this. I had a feeling this is the case, but wanted to ask the community anyway.
Cliff
Hi @Ryan Fish,
Oh ok, didn't think about creating a filter for this. I have experience using Team Foundation Server and not Jira and TFS shows tasks on the scrum board rather than features or stories, so was hoping that Jira did the same thing. Let me look into filters for this. Thanks so much for your answer.
You're welcome, @Cliff Perea
btw, here's the feature request for subtask in backlog:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7992
Maybe you want to vote for that
(And don't forget to accept the answer, if you think, your question is answered. Other users with similar questions can find their answers more easy, if they are accepted)
I definitely will and thanks for reminding me to accept my answers.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.