I've been asked by a user about deleting user accounts in Jira and have been having a very difficult time finding an actual concrete explanation of what exactly happens. People seem to suggest that it shouldn't be done since it will ruin history, but I tried to delete a user via the UI in our cloud version and found that it didn't appear to do much of anything at all. The only impact of deleting a users appears to be that "[X] Inactive" appears by the name and the user does not appear in the user management.
However, I also found that nothing else was touched - all the comments are still present, all the tickets are there - none of the history seems to be ruined at all. And users can still click on the username and see information about that user. So what gives? How is delete user deleting anything at all?