I'm interested in leveraging the Next Gen functionality, but want to keep the hierarchy of epics and stories (i.e. you can link multiple stories to a given Epic). Does anyone know if this is possible in Next Gen?
Hi everyone,
Parent can now be selected as a column in the Global Issue Navigator and exported from Jira.
It is not currently possible but the capabilities are frequently changing and may be possible in the not to distant future. You can enter feedback under your profile pic.
@Matthew Arquette this is currently possible. You'll need to enable the "Roadmap" feature in your Project Settings: https://cl.ly/64032e7b810a
I will say that it is a different experience than classic projects. There is no Epic panel in the backlog and it seems like JQL to find child issues is not the same.
You can do this in the next-gen scrum and kanban.
Hope this helps.
how do you actually find child issues with next-gen epics? I've been searching everywhere for this answer...
@Christian Bisson only way I know how is to go to the issue detail page for the epic to see all of the children
@Mike Solomonyeah it's all I found too, but I need to export all this and be able to report by EPICs, even the export doesn't have the EPIC data for the issues so I can't even find an external workaround with Excel for example
I reported this issue - as I want to be able to search Issues by Epic and the JQL search doesn't work. The Atlassian support team agree and a bug has been raised for it
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17389
I hope it gets fixed, as this is pretty fundamental to be able to work with Epics in NextGen projects!
I am having the same issue and really agree that if this is not working then how can we use the next-gen projects ???
Answer is we can not...
Also raised: Jira-Next-Gen-Project-can-not-see-the-sum-of-story-points
me too, I need to be able to search by epic link in JQL and to see Epic link in exports of tasks to csv/excel!
Ditto. I've just convinced the project team to switch from Azure DevOps (VSTS) to Jira. One of the main reasons was you could not show which Epic a story was tied to in a VSTS query.
How dumb that it can no longer be done in Jira.
Agree that classic Jira was complex, but at least it worked.
Just reported this as an issue too - was loving Next Gen up until I discovered this problem... none of my standard project dashboards work for a next gen project!
A work around I have had to use instead of going back to the legacy project is to add a label field, each task / story created I can then use the following jql query in confluence to pull back jira's per epic.
project = "project name" AND "workstream label" = "label id"
Well this sucks! Now what?
LOL.... not do distant future measured in years. I just converted my project to classic. Took about a day and disrupted the reports and links other members had set to the old project.
You're done. Easy peasy. 10 hours + out of your schedule.
haha! Literally how it works. Spending time trying to save time spending.Thanks for your response but I cant do that. I shouldn't have to do that is my thought. I shouldn't have to accept poor testing in 2019. What happened to Beta testing. What happened to user feedback. What happened to focus groups?Just disappointing really.
I did this a few months ago, it works, but it is VERY BRITTLE. Need the real functionality!
Thank you Dionie, hopefully this gets repicked as accepted answer - looks like users are still getting frustrated bu the above (incorrect) accepted answer.
I double checked this and was able to reproduce the steps from the answer- thanks, @Dionie Olo . And will accept the answer as you recommend @Mark .
(Step 2, you go to the Board to select either one story or more than one by using command or ctrl)
However, please check/watch for updates on this related in-progress issue:
As a user, I'd like to be able to use JQL for Epic Link for Next-Gen project epics
I am flabbergasted. How can it be possible to market next-gen that gives the impression to support epics but it doesn't support:
- querying for epics
- look at a ticket and answer the basic question: does it belongs to an epic ?
I am speechless.
It does support epics
Look under the Roadmaps section. Those are epics you can scale to timelines. Pretty neat.Although the language and means to do things is frustrating and entices anger. Probably why you couldn't find it.So epics are called Roadmaps... and Parents. If you want to create an epic you go to Roadmaps. If you want to assign a ticket to an epic you say "change issue parent".You cant add sub tasks to anything. So instead treat epics as stories and sub tasks as tickets.I know right... good luck
Thanks Gregg for your empathy :-), I expressed myself in a unclear way. Yes, it supports epic in the roadmap view and you can manipulate epics as you mention. All the other problems I listed are still there. I drank my Kool Aid. And now, two hours later, I can even smile.
Note that this option seems to have changed from "Add to epic" to "Add Parent". I wasted too much time realizing this
Is it also possible to show the Epic (parent issue) in a story (I don't see the option in the 'Configure Fields' screen)
This and all the dialog we have seen on related threads indicate that Atlasians is got with their paints down, a deer in the headlights, and has no concrete plans to deal with it.
A shame.
In fairness, a few years ago, I applied for the job of the person who is leading this effort. They failed our community.
I'm looking for alternatives.
Yes Rodrigo! Please come back here and post alternatives if you find any worth while. Please just dont use Asansa, it sucks,
The time for workarounds is over. I want a software engineering solution with an amazing User Experience.
Just switch to Pivotal Tracker. Jira is no good. I'm actively pushing for my company to switch.
pivotaltracker.com
without an parent/epic link field you can only import orphan issues and then assign them. too much work
Please enable showing the parents (or Epics) in the Configure fields screen! This is so essential for reporting and ease of use.
Clubhouse has been pretty great, actually. I've been setting all my new client projects in that tool and haven't looked back.
Simple to set up, and best of all, it just WORKS!
No roadmap tool yet, but from the looks of it, Jira doesn't offer a useful roadmap tool either. I supplement TeamGantt for any roadmaps needed - the first project is free.
Unfortunately, some clients are tied to the hip with this software.
Is any way to "add parent" mother than an Epic ? for instance I want to create this hierarchy
Epic-> Feature-> Story-> Task, but the limitations of Jira NexGen dont let me do it
Not that i know of . I believe you need to buy Portfolio
Some apps don't support the "Epic Name / Parent" field from next gen projects. Does anyone know of a tool or bulk procedure that can populate the "Epic Link" field based on the "Epic Name / Parent" field?
Hi @Tomas Boman
There is no notion of "Epic Link" or "Epic Name" fields or columns in Next-gen. They actually don't exist at all on the backend. The name that is shown on the board and in search for Next-gen base level issue types comes from the parent Epic's "Issue summary". So "Epic Link" can't be "populated" because it doesn't actually exist in Next-gen. But there is the "parent" as mentioned by you.
What are you looking to do exactly?
Regards,
Nate
Weird that you say"Epic Link" doesn't exist in nextgen project. When I the query filter and choose to show the "Epic Link" column for my nextgen project, some of my tickets do indeed have a populated "Epic Link" value. The parent epics belong to an old-school project, but the stories in the epic belongs to a nextgen project. Perhaps that is a bug that we have been exploiting?
I am using 3rd party apps in Jira Cloud, which can only group on "Epic Link", not on "Parent". By manually adding my nextgen stories to the corresponding classic epics, I can run reports on "Epic Link", but I have to manually add them and make sure they match their parents.
I was hoping there was a bulk edit that could do my manual work for me.
It doesn't seem to work for me. Can you have a look at my file please? Here is a screenshot:
Anyone has any idea how to do this? This would be a major help to have a hierarchy: Epic-> Feature-> Story-> Task
I am having the same problem. I see parent id, but that gives you a warning that it will be ignored.
Use Pivotal Tracker
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.