I can tag users using '@....' in the description field when raising stories or commenting on them, however I cannot do this in custom fields we created to ensure we got the information we needed.
This is not a global permissions issue, they are correct in so far as users can be tagged in 'description'.
I have tried changing the field properties so that they are 'wiki-renderer' style UI but this has had no effect.
I cannot find another way to explain why I can't tag users in my custom fields.
If the only solution is 'use the default fields' then I'd suggest this is a pretty poor design of the 'custom field' function which is otherwise great for making our story development process efficient and functional and could only ask if that's ever going to change.
Thanks for any advice or guidance you can offer to get over this.