I would like to find a solution to balance effort vs. resources during the sprint planning session.
Context:
We are using Agile scrum, but with a few adjustments:
- Our developers are all in separate locations and we want to minimize dependencies. We have decided it is better that they work on separate features. Therefore, during sprint planning, balancing of effort vs. resources available needs to be done individually.
- We are using time estimates for sprint planning rather than story points. The team does not like story points as we have tasks ranging from 30 minutes (bug fixes, testing,...) to days or weeks (improvements).
I believe this use case is pretty standard (many teams work remotely).
Problem
I have not seen in Jira how to do the above using standard agile planning tools. did I miss something?
The turnaround that I found is to create a dashboard showing the estimated remaining time for each task and for each developer in the team. They can see this for the current sprint (i.e. tasks that they have not completed) and for the upcoming sprint (prioritized tasks that are proposed for sprint planning). However this dashboard does not work well because it displays the remaining time for each task but not the total for the selected tasks. How can I do this total? I did not see any feature in Jira. There are some add-on that can do this (like cps.SumUp) but unfortunately they are only available on Jira Sever and I am using Jira Cloud.
Any suggestion?