I'd like the change the author of a page to better reflect the ownership of a page.
There's a few questions about this but they seem to be old and don't relate to Confluence Cloud.
Is there a way?
Hello John and welcome to Community!
There actually is a recent question about it: Is there a way to change the creator of a page on Confluence Cloud? .
Hope this helps,
- Manon
TL;DR;
it is not possible (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-7247)
Just so I’m clear, Atlassian provides a SaaS to a huge number of global enterprises, is itself a public company with a market cap of almost 40 billion dollars, and does not support a method to change Confluence page creators?
For companies that have experienced staff changes (ie all companies), the solutions is “just ignore the name of that person that is no longer with your company who authored all the pages”?
I just ran across this issue as well due to staff changes. Need to update the page creator information --- I find that unreasonable that one cannot do this. I can change ownership of Jira projects, but not pages created on Confluence?
A work around could be to get the new owner to copy the page and delete the old one. Painful, but you will get the result you are looking for.
I've had to use the "copy page" approach when I have truly needed to do this, but have always assumed it is locked down / not changed, as that is the person that truly created the page (irrespective of employment status, staff changes, etc.). Probably for the same reasons you wouldn't change the user / date timestamp (created by) on a database record. Just guessing...
This will work from a page navigation standpoint (can park the page where the old one was) but it doesn't work from a bookmark standpoint (i.e., how most people navigate) since the page index changes when it's copied. All permissions have to be re-applied as well, which can be quite onerous. It's ludicrous that simply changing the author isn't supported.
So the accepted answer for cloud is there is no solution? WOW, if only our clients accepted those solutions! I'll be using that in my next meeting with a client... I'll let you know how it goes!
I was looking for something similar. You can't change the author but you could add the Page Properties macro.This can be hidden if you want but it'd allow you to specify the page owner / reviewer / review date or whatever as fields in there. You could then pull that into a report.
Not possible.
That is exactly the answer I was looking for...
NOT
Please everybody, vote for this feature on the JIRA panel...
That is surely something to consider in principle.
But at least someone with Admin privileges on Confluence should be able to purge the name of persons no longer working for the organization without having to resort to desperate measures like using SQL statements on the database (which isn't an option for cloudhostet installations anyways) or copying and deleting the respective pages manually (and thus destroying bookmarks, hierarchies and whatnot).
I am tired of voting for features.
My meeting minutes summary page is marked as authored by the consultant setting up the space and that cause lot of unnecessary questions and doubt that this is actually the meeting notes from meetings guided by me.
We use Confluence as a documentation site. The fact that you cannot alter or hide the author's name is absolutely ridiculous. I don't want my name (or that of any of my colleagues) to be permanently visible, nor do I want any GDPR conflicts regarding coworkers who have left our company.
This needs to be changed now.
I still don't see the connection though. The person that authored the page is the person that authored the page, regardless of their employment status, connection with the company, etc. If you need to disclose resources / people that individuals can contact for additional questions or more details, isn't that a separate piece of metadata that is disclosed on the form - independent of who authored the form? Do companies go in and change the "From" name on all sent emails when an employee leaves a company / is no longer a consultant with a company?
I think the point is that the field used for author / creator is the one that's linked to all the functional bits of the system...
So any page updates / workflows / edits etc all go to the original author who, 99% of the time is the person that imported knowledge articles from the previous SD system...
There should be a field / metadata for 'Page Owner' that is related to all this stuff. So you can change the knowledge / page owner when they leave to someone more appropriate.
By all means have an original author field to indicate who first created the page, it's just not useful in the lifecycle of the page and working with the rest of the Confluence functionality.
The best workaround I could find in relation to ownership identification:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225778/page-owner?tab=reviews&hosting=cloud
Kudos to its author!
As always, Atlassian miss to implement the most basic and needed capabilities.
I'm guessing there's a reason you're a deleted user now.. made the switch to a superior platform like Asana, Monday, ClickUp, the list is endless
It's ludicrous how many organisations pay for Atlassian services and the amount that accompanies that as well..
The world is truly a bizarre place
@Julien Bonastre
Its insane. Atlassian gives broken or missing standard functionality, then charges fees for plugins and creates a market place for suckers. It is sad how things become the standard because society needs a standard, those who hold the responsibility to manage it are focused on maximizing profits; a standard provides so much, like inherent integregatability. Its unfortunately what it does to society, we end up in misery having to deal with the consequences of their bloated architectural mistakes and greed every single day, continuous reinvention of wheels that end up looking like squares. It really is depressing... we know a team of 10 could build software 100x better than this in under a year and could provide it at 10% cost and still make a profit... the only value in Atlassian, Facebook, Twitter, etc. IMHO is actually the user base.
Great find ! I'm posting your answer to other similar questions asked in the Community.Maybe one day, Atlassian will just purchase the plug-in from the author and then make it a standard 'Admin - Advanced Tool' option.
FYI, after searching around various answers on similar questions. There was a post to this paid plugin to change the owner of a page.(disclaimer: I have not used this plug in to see how successful it is in updating. But I don't see any reason why one can't use the plug-in for only a month to change the pages, then don't renew subscription.)https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225778/page-owner?tab=reviews&hosting=cloud
Here is some background on how to create a query to do it yourself.https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-change-the-creator-of-a-page-720830744.html
Apparently, this is now rolling out
https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/transfer-ownership-of-your-page-to-another-person/
I don't see it yet...
The page ownership experience can be improved by apps as many of you agreed on here. If you want to take it a bit further and see how you can:
I recommend this blog on 5 Confluence page owner best practices implemented with Better Content Archiving for Confluence.
(Please note that Better Content Archiving is a free/paid, supported app, and I'm part of the team developing it.)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.