I have to walk a fine line between ease of use, and analytics power in my project.
Currently, my project has two Issue Types. Depending on which is selected, the available options within a cascading multi-select field will change.
The cascading multi-select field essentially functions the way Issue Type and Component are supposed to. We have to go this route though because we handle too many things per Issue Type, the Components list would be too unwieldy.
So, for ease of use, we have decided to split the two Issue Types into two new, separate projects. I was going to just do away with the Issue Type for each project entirely, but Jira forces one to be available. So my workaround is to make a single Issue Type with the same name as the project, and then hide that field from the ticket creation screen.
The way I figure, when I pull analytics, I can just use issuetype = myteam instead of project = myteam. If I run project = myteam, the only stat I will get will be the number of tickets created for the sole issue type, with no categories broken up on the chart. But if I run issuetype = myteam, then I should see the categories within the Issue Type, as defined with the cascading multi-select, broken up on the chart?
Right? I don't mean to answer my own question, haha.
I just want to make sure that there won't be any ramifications from doing this later when I try to pull statistics. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!