Sorry to ask. new Jira user here....
Simple project structure and want to set this up quickly. (Added a Microsoft analogy)
1) Releasing Software "Alpha" (Release MS Office 10)
2) Releases for #1 will be in 5 phases over time, each with a release date (Demo v1, Demo v2, Beta v1, Beta v2, Production)
3) Within each Phase in #2 will be 4 - 5 specific types of major technical functionality that are logical groupings (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook)
4) Within each type of major functionality in #3 there are tasks (Within Excel there are... a) Write specs b) development c) Testing
Question is - how do I organize? I tried the following but the Verison/Epic links are not cooperating. Per the above logic I setup:
1) Project
2) Version
3) Epic
4) Tasks
Our approach is each "version" (if that is the right term) is a major milestone. If I could associate multiple Epics with a Version it would seem logical, but I'm having trouble making that work in Jira. Maybe its me.
Before I debug, am I approaching this correctly?
BTW - I don't want to take up much of your time - so all I really need I the best practice groupings for steps 1 - 4 as noted above. I'll do the needed research.
Very small development team for now, so we don't need to make this complicated.
Thanks for the help