I recently discovered that the password had expired on the email account that is used for email handling in Jira Service Desk. Jira didn't give me any warning about this which seems pretty fundamental when you are relying on Jira Service Desk to handle all your incoming tickets and you have SLAs to achieve.
(Obviously since then the password has been set to never expire, but it did draw to my attention the risk here.)
Anyway, I had a dig in the logs and the following line appears in the atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log every minute:
2018-04-10 19:10:29,767 ERROR [] Caesium-1-3 ServiceRunner Messaging Error when MailPullerWorker pulls emails from <email address redacted>: AUTHENTICATE failed.
Does anyone know of a plugin that can parse the log and alert when a particular string appears within a particular time frame, or if perhaps the ability to do this exists somewhere natively within Jira that I don't know about? Lastlog is great for letting me view and filter the log thru the GUI but I need more.