On my backlog, I used to see different EPICs in different colors (easy way to group user stories). I don't have anymore this possibility.
Thanks.
Hi @Rhita Chatila,
I assume with "the new JIRA version" you mean the new UI Experience on Cloud? If not, what version are you on?
In Cloud, go to the Backlog view of the board that has you Epics. On the left hand side, expand the Epic panel. Next to each Epic in the list you will see a small coloured triangle. When you click that, you will be able to change Epic colour:
Thanks @Walter Buggenhout
@Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT]
I can not see this down arrow.
How do I expose it?
Hi @Steve A Farrand,
Can you share a screenshot of what you do see?
I couldn't be more happy that you added this feature!!! Add more color options please!
Is this feature also available for kanban boards? I have seen it on a scrum board but could not find it for a kanban board. It's annoying that we have several epics with an identical label colour on a kanban board.
As @Tanja Kantolamentioned, it's very annoying to organize stories with only one color in Epic labels.
Has somebody managed to change colors for Epics in Kanban boards?
Setting the colors can - to my knowledge - only be done via a scrum board, create a scrumboard for all the projects combined (if you have overarching Epics, that is the easiest) and set the epic colors per epic in the scrum board - backlog view. From that moment on the epic colors are reflected in the related kanban boards as well.
So a small work around, but it worked well (and efficiently) for me.
@Judith Hermus
Hi! Thank you for your advice. I tried as you mentioned, created a new Scrum project but I had no success changing epic's colors.
I started with a next-gen Kanban project and my team and I put some work on with stories and epics. Those epics are the ones we want to change color for better visual feedback.
I tried you strategy to create a new (next-gen) Scrum project but the interface is very similar, only almost all features turned on. I created example epics in the Roadmap section and then moved back to backlog. I couldn't see the Epics sidebar so I'm still stuck with the same problem.
I think you're strategy only works on classic Jira projects.
Hi Joshua, you can create an additional Scrum board in Kanban projects as well. Just create a board not a new project. I just redid my above instruction for a project in which my epics didn't have colors yet, and it worked.
Please use the pics to see if we are talking about the same thing.
I hope it helps.
How can you do this, in the new Jira Software experience? I don't have this view anymore with the dropdown....
I made above views in the new experience. Are you sure you are using the backlog of a scrumboard?
Hello Ms. Judith Tacq
Thanks for your information. We've faced the same issue but not in Cloud. Will it applicable for the Data center also? if Yes please let me know how to do that?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers!!!
Best Regards,
Srinivasa:)
Hello All,
It is working in Kanban Project in Back lock section as well in Server version.
Steps to edit the Epic Color:
1. Go to the project and open the Respective board.
2. Click on Backlog at left side.
3. Click EPICS on the left side of the board (aligned vertically) to open it.
4.Click the arrow next to the epic's name, then choose the color from the menu.
Please find the Screen shots for your kind reference.
Cheers!
Srinivasa
I really hope to see a color wheel with unlimited color options, or at least more color options available to choose from. 14 epic colors is NOT enough.
Better than 0! You'll learn, one step at a time with change.
We cannot change the EPIC colors because no EPIC is shown in the list.
See the screenshot below.
If I recreate a new board, the EPICs are here, but we loose all settings.
I was able to change the color in backlog view. However, it did not change in Active Sprint view for me.
Colours for Epics are being organised automatically. How can we define Epic colours by groups/teams/components etc? Is there a way or does it need to be updated manually?
This is very frustrating. No clear way to make them different colors in a Kanban board?
Hi there, just found the way to do it,
If you go to your Roadmap, and you click in one of your Epics, it opens on the right hand side. Next to our epic's name, you will have a small box with the colour (mine purple by default) if you click this box, the colour selection comes up.
I hope this helps
Another option is temporarily adding the field "Epic Color" to your "Edit Issue" screen and modifying the colours in the different "Epic" tickets.
That worked, thanks!
Hello Kevin,
I'm very glad to hear that , it got help you to fix the your problem.I'm looking forward to hear more queries from you that will help me to improve my self as well.
Thank you very much.
This is the one I found most useful - I couldn't get the other options working with my kanban bords
There is a setting you need to change for the board in order to see the epics in the side view on the kanban board. If you (may need to be an admin?) go to Board Settings > Columns > Epics panel, there is a toggle to display epics next to the backlog instead of as tickets within the backlog. This works on Kanban boards too!
If you flip that setting to true, you'll see the list of epics on the left as mentioned by several people in this thread, and from there you can change the color with the drop down arrow.
Kanban board. None of the above solutions helped me, however, I found an alternative solution which actually works.
Is that manual per epic though? Can it automatically change colour based on status?
For Next Gen projects, you need navigate to the issue view of the Epic and you will get the option to change the colour there
Thanks Trevor, saw that but don't want to update manually - was looking for it to update automatically based on a status or even better based on percentage completed. Do you know if that is possible?
Hi Andrew. Most likely not currently for next-gen projects as the features are pretty limited at this point in time. Hopefully they are working on this though!
Ah, no worries.
Thanks though.
Hello,
How do I get JIRA to show the actual color in a dashboard?
I have created a filter for listing down all the epics for a particular release. Now when I display the filter results on a dashboard, the epic colour field is actually displaying ghx-label-XX instead of the actual color. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
In the announcement banner you can add your own CSS.Since the ghx-labels are assigned as a CSS class, just make your own label and add it to the announcement banner.
<style type="text/css">.ghx-label-16 { background-color: #8777D9; }</style>
This doesn't affect the style of the font when the epic appears on cards. To make a style similar to the default in Jira cloud, add the following:
<style type="text/css">.ghx-label-16 { background-color: #8777D9; }.aui-label.ghx-label-16 { background-color:#EAE6FF; color: #403294; font-weight: 600; border: none; line-height: 16px; white-space: nowrap;}</style>
Fantastic, this works thanks.
Idem, have been looking for it for over 15mins now :-(
I've done it through a Bulk Update of only the Epic ticket whose colour I wanted to update. Basically, create a filter (project= AND type=Epic), select the Epic you want to update and then BulkUpdate->Epic Colours
Update: I've managed to do it through a Bulk Update of only the Epic ticket whose colour I wanted to update. Basically, create a filter (project= AND type=Epic), select the Epic you want to update and then BulkUpdate->Epic Colours
Use "bulk update" for the epics and find the field "epic color" there.
Hi,
Here are the old suggestions (2015 and 2016) to support more colors for epics, which you may review and vote for:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20184
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-59765
Perhaps our vendor is trying to disencentivize high, work in progress (WIP) by limiting the available colors. ;^)
Best regards,
Bill
There is another workaround:- create a Scrum board- change the colors as mentioned above- delete the Scrum board
I didn't really care about the colour. I'd like to know how to set up a new EPIC. and subsequently, since it's impossible to set up epics in Tempo/JIRA - i had training in my first week, have since been inundated with work. Now feel disgusted to ask my company how to do it. Also, don't have the time!
I've been using JIRA for nearly a decade now. never had the privileges to edit this. I've started setting up Tempo but am blocked because - see below:
PLEASE, can someone help me?
You create Epics just like normal tickets, but as ticket Type you pick “Epic”.
Hi all,
For those, who want to change the label colour for the epic in Jira Cloud:
The colour selection is just before the name and on the view right part you will not see it coloured, but you will see it with this colour when you open an issue related to this topic or in the board.
Cheers, Magdalena Zhisheva
New way 2022: directly in the Epic ticket there is a colour box you can click to change the colour.
what Jira version is that? we use 8.20.6 but not available here
or is it just available on DC again?
Yes, I have this issue too!
Really nice move to provide the color via the Epic page. Though (on Jira Cloud) after changing it my "Kanban board" view was still showing the old colors.
Moving a single card on the board seemed to update whatever cache was holding the old colors.
Mentioning it incase anyone else hits that and is wondering what's up.
Joris Thanks for you comment this process sucess for me.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.