Hi there,
I have recently installed the Tempo add-on to simplify some of our Sprint planning and time allocation. Currently, when we plan Sprints, we gather time availability by team member (ex. John has 50 hours to work over the next two weeks) and then add up the hours that that user has committed to in a Google spreadsheet.
My understanding was that Tempo would allow us to streamline and integrate this process. But what I'm finding is that it uses hardcoded values and assumes that everyone in the project has 8 hours a day to work. Here's what I want to do:
1) For a given Sprint, insert custom commitment values per team member
2) Be able to change these values from Sprint to Sprint
3) See the burndown of committed vs. available hours (e.g., if John has 50 hours, and we've booked him for 37 hours, he has 13 available hours left)
Here's what I've tried:
1) Changing the global workload scheme. This allows me to customize the per-day working hours, but that isn't really solving my problem.
2) Changing % availability of a team member on my Tempo team. This also doesn't work well, because team members don't have convenient 25%/50%/75%/100% availability. For example, if John has 50 hours over 2 weeks of a total 80 working hours, then neither 50% nor 75% will work for him.
3) Going into the Tempo timesheet and changing "planned time" values per team member. This also doesn't seem to do anything.
Can I just say: Tempo actually seems like a MORE complicated way to track time. So far, I'm pretty nonplussed with the interface and its convolution. Seems like it could be highly simplified. Literally all I need is a way to insert hours per team member, per Sprint, and then have those values auto-update as we estimate on tickets. Instead, Tempo seems like a behemoth. It does way more than I need it to do. So if Tempo isn't what I should be using (and if JIRA offers some functionality out of the box for this kind of activity) please also let me know.
Thanks!
Henry