I try backspace, I try clicking on it, but I can't seem to delete the page section, only the content in it. I guess I could probably do it with the source editor, but there must be an easier way?
Click on the "page layout" button to get the section menu to drop down, click on the section you want to kill off, then use "remove section" from the menu
Yes this works perfectly, thank you.
Unfortunately, there is no way to remove sections (page layouts) non-destructively.
There is a way to do this using the free 'Confluence Source Editor' add-on:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210722/confluence-source-editor?hosting=server&tab=overview
Once installed and activated, you have to (carefully!!) remove all the tags pertaining to the layout macro (<ac:layout...>) including their respective closing tags by hand.
It's not a pretty solution, but it has worked for me several times. And using the built-in Search & Replace function of the add-on, it's not that hard to do, either.
But it would sure be nice if Atlassian added a possibility to remove section/layout macros without deleting all the content that's in them without hacking the source code!
This demonstrates how much the editor has to improve still. This is a pretty basic ask.
Actually, this is a bit of an odd one - most of us are screaming to get sections back!
Took me a second to find the "Page Layout" button, for those similarly blind:
Unfortunately, the option to non-destructively remove multi-sections as shown in the above comment and return to a single panel is only available in Server/Data-Center. If you are on the Cloud, the editor has regressed to a destructive removal of sections only.
It is rather a pain after using Server for all these years.
Well, I've just found an easy workaround.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.