We have a customer that is entering issues with incorrect issue types (ie. a Bug when it should be a Question).
How do I change that issue type? It does not seem to be editable, regardless of my assignee status.
Hi Matt, Try moving the issue. You can choose to keep the project the same but change the issue type.
This documentation explains step by step how to move an issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue
Whenever I run into this problem it's usually because the issue type I _want_ belongs to a different workflow. In that case I use the "Move" function. Might be worth a look.
Thanks (both of you) for the answer. It is due to different workflows that I need to change it. The move function seems a bit cumbersome, but it gets the job done.
You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration.
Is it possible to change issue type using regular edit button when there are different workflows in the project? Scenario: issue is open on the screen, I click on the issue type name, I check the list => there is no issue type (different workflow). Is it just a bug or there is another reason why it is not working?
For changing a task to a bug workflow, you have to use Move
thanks a lot. it works.
Thank you for the suggestion. It works.
Hi all. I'm working with Jira Service Desk Cloud. I cannot find the "issue type" field in my "custom fields" screen.
I trying to enable this field in order to permit to change the issue type in the Edit screen using a combo box.
Ref: "You can also allow the issue type field on your edit screen this will allow you to change the issue type as long as it is not restricted by the field configuration." from @Timothy Harris.
thanks in advance.
Jira interface has changed quite a bit since then.
I agree with Accepted Answer. However, if you consume information better in the video format, I have answered your question with a video: (For 2019 Jira)
https://youtu.be/8dakajnzUSo
There can't just be a dropdown to change? Then again, because Jira.
Ironically, this is one place where classic is simpler than next-gen. If configured correctly, classic allows a ticket's type to be changed with a simple pull down menu. @nurac, please get this fix on the roadmap for next-gen.
See also:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Changing-Next-Gen-Jira-Issue-Types/qaq-p/1022981
------------ Note --------
This is working now see subsequent comment
To move the issue worked for me. Good workaround!
Excellent thanks!
It works like a charm. Thanks!
A bulk update allows you to change just the Issue Type as well; it might be easier than moving the whole thing.
Does anyone know if there has been a recent update to classic projects. I used to be able to change issue type via drop down. Now, I've come back after a week off and when I click to edit issue type, the move issue screen appears. I've made no changes to configuration. Workflow, screens and fields are all the same for both issue types. Wondered whether this is a known bug or an update?
I've noticed the same thing. Actually it looks like that only happens if the issue types in the project don't have the same workflow, or screen configuration or field configuration. In the project where all of those are the same, I can change the issue type just by clicking on the issuetype icon.
Simply click on the issue type icon and it presents a dropdown list as per the classic interface.
This appears as broken for us It goes to the weird Move Issue workflow screen)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.