I've search quite a bit and found nothing so I think I may be using the incorrect terminology.
We run JIRA (v7.3.3) and IRA Agile (v7.3.0-DAILY20170302150106) hosted on our servers.
We successfully use JIRA but there is one major issue we have. There is a constant battle between business and development teams on sprint size/points available. I would like to set a number for a given sprint, 100 for example. They move stories from the backlog to the sprint. For example, 90 points and leave 10 unallocated for things that come up during the sprint. The problem is that more and more stuff gets moved into the sprint and we blow past the 100 mark every sprint.
What I would like is, once that limit is set for a sprint, when business adds something to the sprint that push points over the limit, the lowest priority thing gets moved out of the sprint into the backlog so that they have a notification of the consequences. It seems like Kanban boards may have this feature, but I can't seem to find it on the scrum boards, which we are already invested in.
Is this, or something similar possible? I'm trying to find a technical solution to a problem where social engineering has repeatedly failed.
I did notice the following thread, but I think that is for newer versions of JIRA Cloud, as I don't have that Agile button they mentioned.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Software-questions/Setting-a-story-point-limit-for-a-Sprint/qaq-p/22977
Thank you
(PS, sorry for the formatting here? I don't see a way to change font size on pasted text).