Hi There,
I have 7 tables on a page that need to be separated because they are each important checklists with different purposes. However, it reads poorly visually BECAUSE the tables each have 3 columns but the columns vary in width among the tables. https://womply.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BD/MCPS+-+TSR+Spec+-+CHECKLIST
Is there a way to select the width of the columns in the tables?
Thanks so much.
Luke Chapman - lchapman@womply.com
Hi Luke, this is not Atlassian Support, so we can't access your system. You can contact them in support.atlassian.com. If you would like help from the community here - you can add a screenshot
Hi Luke,
This currently isn't possible natively in Confluence, but is possible using the Table Plus Macro which is part of the Advanced Tables for Confluence plugin. References to this:
1.) https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TBL/Controlling+the+Width+of+Table+Columns
2.) https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/305897
I haven't used this particular macro yet so if you are able to use it and it works, please let us know.
Good luck!
You might want to vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-3393
It is outstanding for almost 10 years now. Hopefully Atlassian will get around to it sooner than later.
I've found an easy way of doing this, for Server 5.7.3.
All you have to do is:
Add width="n" into the <th> tag at the beginning of the code.
For example:
<th width="100">Column Name</th>
In the code this looks like:
<table> <tbody> <tr> <th width="200">Field</th> <th>Description</th> </tr>
Do this for all columns or just the one you want to keep at a fixed width.
So for two columns you could have:
<table> <tbody> <tr> <th width="200">Field</th>
<th width="500">Description</th>
<th>Description</th> </tr>
I did this yesterday and it's still working today, so it must be right!
Cheers.
where do we need to add this code?
Hey Luke,
I'm not sure if you have found a solution to your issue. One way to constraint the content in the table in to use the Column Macro in the cell, then embed your content in macro. You will be able constrain width of each column based on the value you input into the Column macro.
Please add the word "confluence" to the title.
This description applies only to Confluence, but it's the top Google result when trying to find info on how to fix column widths in JIRA.
Hey David, I added 'Confluence' to the title (on behalf of Luke). Hopefully that'll help in future Google searches.
I don't know why the other answers are telling you to use a macro or code something, but this is entirely possible in Confluence.
In the table toolbar there is a dropdown on the left hand side that says Responsive". If you click it, you can change it to Fixed width. This means that the columns in your table will display with the width you've chosen, no matter what the screen resolution or platform. If you leave it as Responsive, the table will be rendered with whatever column widths the browser thinks are right.
You can change the width of columns by selecting a column line and moving it left or right.
Hi Rob, I don't see "Responsive." I am on v 5.7.1.
What version are you using?
Hi Christine,
I'm using the Cloud version, but this functionality has been added to the Server version (see here for the 6.4 docs on tables).
When this was added to Server I don't know, but after 5.7, certainly, as that's quite an old version.....
The feature is in v 6.3. it is still a bit ugly.
<th style="width="20%!importent;">Column Name</th>
I was facing a similar issue.
Here is what I tried, make sure the first row of the table is not merged. Post that tries to resize the width and see if that works.
Thanks Benj, the ticket is now closed https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-3393
In my limited experience of using Confluence I've observed that if the table is rendered in full screen width, either purposely or inadvertently, that I've been unable to resize existing column widths. This can be very annoying for readability, especially where columns ram full of text become rendered with narrow widths. This and similar observations are described by a bug/issue reference number 67831.
In my experience, the workaround has been to insert an additional table column, subsequently to manually copy the contents of one of the existing columns into the new column, and finally to delete the original column if desired. Though somewhat laborious, this has the effect of then making it possible to resize any of the columns.
It worked for me anyway, hope this tip is of some benefit to you and other Confluence users
Best Regards
Paul
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.