I'm trying to figure out how and when Jira allows users to change the "Issue Type" in the Edit screen of an existing issue - I'd like to avoid having to "move" the issue. From what I've discovered, if I want to switch from issue type A to issue type B, they both need to have the same field configuration AND workflow. For me, the issue types in question do have the same workflow, so that's all set. However, they do not have the same field configurations.
That said, the initial (before) issue type is very basic and only has Summary and Description fields, so I was hoping I could convert it into any other issue type which has those fields. Instead, I'm finding that I need to actually go through the process of moving the issue, rather than just editing the issue type field.
Is there anything I may be missing? Is there an easier way to achieve what I'm trying to do?