I have a task which is split into 4 subtasks. Thes have been completed and had their time spent and remaining time updated. However the parent tasks time spent is still zero and seems to require me to manually update it! Surely it should inherit the sum of the time spent on its subtasks?
Hi Lee,
You should be able to select "Include Subtasks" on the right below the estimations of the parent task. Keep in mind that you can also log work on the parent task (independent from the sub tasks)
Best regards,
Peter
There is no such option on the view I have. Is this in the Edit Task screen?
No, just in the main detail view of an issue, like this :
Ok, I have found it. However it is already ticked. So it clearly does not work.... This surely has to be simple. All I need is the parent task to auto update with its childrens time spent.... To close a parent issue I should not have to remember how long I have spent on all its subtasks.
The time spent that you logged on the sub tasks will be added to the total Logged time (the 3th bar in the above example). It will not be deducted from the Estimated Time (1st bar in the example) logged on the parent, this is not how this functionality behaves.
Some more information can be found here : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/28328/jira-and-sub-tasks and here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+Work+on+an+Issue
aH, if I close the task manually it lets me do it without updating the time spent on the parent task. However if the last subtask is completed it springs up a screen asking to close the parent task and will not let me close it without manually entering a time spent....
Peter,
If we remove the effort from the main top-level task or story, it then shows no estimation on the planning board lines. Shouldn't it show the overall estimation (including sub-tasks) even when the parent line effort is empty at planning mode?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.