I have an agile project that has been created with the standard 'JIRA Software' process and stories and bugs have already been assigned to the project. I added an active sprint so that these issues would then appear on the Kanban board. The problem is, the default project settings need to be amended to match the workflow on another existing project. As soon as I amend the workflow, the stories and bugs already created disappear in their entirety on both the active sprint and the backlog views. It appears to be the workflow that does this rather than screens or fields. The ticket still exist if you go direct to the url. The active sprint still exists but when I observe this on other views, it appears to suggest it is a future (rather than active) sprint.
How do I retain these stories and bugs when changing the project workflow?