Hi! Using the REST API - or some other mechanism - Is it possible to tell if I am connected to a server instance or an on-demand instance?
You could call /rest/api/2/serverInfo and look at the version element. For on-demand the version is something like:
"version":"7.2.0-OD-05-022"
i.e. it has OD in it.
and for server it's just:
"version": "6.2.5"
Not sure if that's good enough?
Why do you need to know the difference?
Backups and re-indexing - possibly others? - work/behave differently between the two versions . . . I would like to add some code to the jira python client to behave appropriately depending on the context.
Thanks!!
If you see "-OD-" in the version then it is definitely Cloud.Unfortunately the reverse is not true.
Sometimes cloud will have (eg) version "7.2.0" (then two weeks later it will move to "7.3.0-OD-01-xxx")
Another heuristic is the domain name ... eg if it is on "*.atlassian.net" (or one of a few others) then it is Cloud.But this too is unreliable because that list could expand or change in the long term.
AFAIK there is no reliable way to do this in REST.
Sounds like a good feature request
The way I usually tell in the UI is by looking at the footer.Server will have "Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software".Cloud will have "Powered by Atlassian"
I did it!! https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-60416
I found it very awkward to word that request . . . are the two types of servers "onDemand" and "Server"? "Server" is not very descriptive . . . and now that I think of it, "onDemand" is now cloud.
Please feel free to update the ticket if you have any thoughts, or send them to me and I will update if you are not able to! Thanks!!!
Thanks for raising that.
Yep - "Server" can be ambiguous, but Marketing obviously think it's a good name, so who am I to argue
(Internally we often say "BTF" - Behind The Firewall - for On Premises installs but that's misleading too because our Cloud instances are all behind a firewall too)
I might change "Server type" to "Deployment type" in the issue.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.