Hi there. New to JIRA and starting the process of setup and putting it through its paces. I'll describe a few variables first to help fill in the context:
- We're a college library environment.
- We've dabbled with JIRA, Freshdesk, Zendesk, and Happy Fox. We're leaning towards JIRA (service desk, confluence, and software) for our needs.
- I want a "ticketing system" that will mostly be used behind the scenes for all our IT/Software development folk. JIRA more than meets these needs. So no worries there.
- A HUGE requirement I need is the ability for any user to be able to submit a "ticket" to us via email. I don't want them to necessarily have to log in and establish some form of account in order to submit anything. Example: I have a student that has an issue. The email our support email address and that generates a ticket in JIRA. I'm running into trouble with this one.
- I'm skimming: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html and also https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/quickstart-guide-for-service-desk-email-support-732528953.html for slow guidance. I'm also aware of the Request Security settings, but not sure how much this part plays a role.
So here is my biggest challenge I'm running into. When I'm under | Administration | System | Incoming Email | attempting to test JIRA Service Desk to connect to my Exchange/Office365 data: our email account is a Shared Mailbox in Exchange. This can be tricky for those that don't work in Exchange. This isn't a single user account mailbox and multiple people all access it with the same username/password. It is basically an account that can be accessed by multiple people and does not have a password associated with it. It's accessed based on permissions.
To better understand (in case you need reference): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150498(v=exchg.150).aspx
Sooooooooooooo, I'm wondering if my failing with JIRA to access this Shared Mailbox is because the variables I can manipulate in Incoming Mail are for standard (normal) type mailboxes. Meaning single user, single username/password type setups. I can't even chose to not have a password in these settings.
Sorry about the TL;DR post. Just trying to be thorough. I'm open to any guidance/reading/links to resolve my challenges.
I'm wondering if in order to make this work I will need to convert my Shared Mailbox back to a Single User style Exchange/Office365 account.
Thanks!