An issue has been deleted from my project in error. Is it possible to, and how should I retrieve the issue directly from an archive, or some such place, and have it reappear on the project as in its original state?
No. Deleted means deleted, the only things left are a hole in your project key numbers and (hopefully) a backup.
I know OnDemand is backed up, but I don't know if Atlassian will retrieve it for you, and if they do, whether it'll be a simple copy of the data they found, or a full re-insertion of it all (Which needs SQL, re-indexing and downtime). You should ask their support team in the first instance.
(Also, consider removing "delete" permissions for most/all users)
Typically we won't restore accidentally deleted data. It's recommended that you periodically take your own backups.
If a single issue has been deleted and you don't have a backup, most of the data can usually be pieced together from JIRA email notifications.
Thanks for the information - I feared as much, but at least I have the definitive answer now and can confirm this message with users.
Best regards
Jira sent a notification saying I deleted an issue. However, I have not worked on Jira since Morning. Is there a way to go back and see what happened there? Is it possible someone else used my system ( I stepped out for a while) and deleted it? Am i being ridiculuous here?
I'd like to know how did the issue get deleted.
Please see the original answer.
You or someone or an automated system, using your credentials, deleted the issue. You can't get it back or find out who/what unless you have got logging enabled to catch this sort of thing.
@Michael Knight, normally means it is still possible? Our IT ops by mistake have removed all tickets from our corporate JIRA... By any occasion, would it be possible to restore them anyhow? For any amount of money...
It is this type of loose coding we should all avoid. Deletion of anything should be recorded.
It is, if you enable the logging. Better, disallow delete, it's easier.
Look here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-restore-accidentally-deleted-issue-in-jira-applications-313466155.html
This app that allows you to log and easily view the deleted issues: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219171/who-deleted-my-issues
This appears to be for self-hosted environments. Is there a way with the hosted product to restore?
If by "hosted" you mean "Cloud" (all Jira services are "hosted" somewhere), then no, there's no restore option. It's not changed since the original 6-year-old answer.
"No. Deleted means deleted, the only things left are a hole in your project key numbers and (hopefully) a backup."
Kind of a terrible coding practice if they literally delete items instead of flagging them as "deleted" which is like programming 101Plenty of people asking about this online.. May be allow people to finally view deleted items?
Or maybe just allow delete so that you can improve performance, while having the flexibility to not allow most people to do it when they don't quite now how permanent it might be?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.