This is more of a rant than a question, but I'm tired of running into roadblocks in moving my large (20K+) set of issues into JIRA.
First, let me state for the record that I believe in workflow, along with motherhood and apple strudel. That's one of the main reasons I'm trying to use JIRA, and probably it's main strong point. But, that's fine for issues once they're in JIRA. My job is to (programmatically) import my issues so I can do my real job of producing software.
Admittedly, if I wasn't doing JIRA Cloud, I could probably hack these issues in one way or another, but for various reasons, I need to use JIRA Cloud. I'm starting to regret that decision.
Here are the things JIRA currently prevents that should be fixed, so far. I've up-voted those I can find, but in general, the use case of importing data into JIRA is very clearly an afterthought, at best. Don't get me started on the abysmal state of documentation and the Java REST API. That's for another rant. If it weren't for Google and this space, I'd be sunk.
- Status should be allowed to be set on new issues created via REST. There is no workflow until the issues are in JIRA, so the mantra "You need to follow workflow" doesn't compute - they're already in workflow. The issues are pre-existing - it's my job to put them into a status that makes sense, not JIRA's to prevent me from doing so. I'm an adult - I can figure it out. I'm faced now with creating artificial transitions from Open to <whatever> merely so I don't have to transition through all of my workflow to get issues into their proper state.
- Created/Updated should be allowed to be set on new issues. I now have to create a custom field like Created to represent when my original issue was created. That's doable, but of course, JIRA has virtually no support for R/O fields, so I have to exclude it from most screens. (Yes, I could make it a R/O text field, but then that kind of makes it unusable for searches and such - it's a DateTime). I see that there have been requests for general R/O fields for some 11 years - it really takes that long to set a flag? Depressing.
- The REST API shouldn't depend on UI (screens) for field availability. Atlassian should have a read about MVC at some point. Like dummy workflow transitions, I now have to add fields I don't want anyone to touch to the create screens merely so they can be populated by the API. Yes, I can remove them when I'm done, but during the transition period, which could take a month or two, I'm stuck with them, and the danger of allowing people to specify them when creating issues.
- Given that, REST should have its own screen scheme or something to at least make this tolerable.
- When creating a new Version (I have hundreds, over many projects), you cannot specify the start date for a Version. You can't even change the start date. The release date, yes. But, that's only half of the picture.
</rant>
I don't expect much out of Atlassian w/r/t these issues - clearly if they're not much interested in adding things as simple as R/O fields, the rest of these won't be addressed anytime soon. But, given "Cloud" is the future of everything, people should be aware of the limitations of this environment (including the relative lack of plugins, etc.).
Thanks for listening...