This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing Files
Hi
in Confluence I have an excel file
Is there a way to check the file out so other users know that I have it open and I'm working in it?
No, Confluence doesn't offer this feature or capability. There are no add-ons that I know of that can do this on Confluence Cloud, but you may consider searching the marketplace. There IS an add-on for on-premise installations though, if you ever consider migrating off Cloud.
Thanks!!
On Confluence Cloud you could use page permissions to restrict editing of the page, however that would effectively 'checkout' everything in the page and all the files attached to it - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/page-restrictions-724764891.html
You would also still need to look at using a social workflow to indicate you are working on the file - e.g. add a comment to the attachment or the page.
It might be possible to create a custom add-on to make this process a bit more user friendly.
Just FYI, there are new features regarding collaborative editing:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/collaborative-editing-828790374.html
So it's 2021, Atlassian is moving everything to the cloud - any solution for this yet? We have a need to manage shared attachments, and need a way to check in/out the files.
In this instance, there isn't a function to edit them within Confluence yet, thus the need for check in/out functionality.
I still can't find any add-ins which currently do this.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.