Let's say I want add a task in JIRA that will not require attention until some later date, e.g., the task begins a year from now, e.g., Sep 1 2013 and should conclude Oct 1 2013. So I do not want it to appear in my dashboard lists until Sep 1.
In other issue management systems (e.g., Wrike) each issue has a "start date." So it's simple to do what I want - just put in a start date of 9/1/2013. Up until 8/31/2013, I do not see the issue as active. On 9/1, the issue automatically starts appearing in my views.
But I cannot determine the similar functionality in JIRA.
I am not designing software or doing sprints, so I don't think Greenhopper is the solution, although I could be wrong.
And I guess I could make a custom filter so that items do not appear on my dashboard until their due dates are within e.g., 30 days, but that's a crude solution.
Thanks