is it possible to turn off email notifications for a particular user? We need the user to remain in the group but they no longer want to receive email.
No, but you can change their email to a dead address so all their mail is binned.
well that user can go to profile and turn off notifications. but, this will be for issues that user is involved with.
Then remove them from the criteria that are making them get email. Work through your notification scheme and think about it - if they're getting emails because they are a watcher, remove them from watching. If it's on all updates going to a group, remove them from the group. And so-on
this method will create mail server spam and makes it difficult to track that account owner over time, reset password etc.
we use several accounts in automation which are generating alerts from automated updated to tickets etc
This is very important feature to turn off some sort of notifications for a single user. Any updates on it?
Same answers - remove them from the criteria that get them sent email.
Any update ?
In the days of Slack and APIs, this is by far not the best answer (don't take it personnaly but I call them 'workarounds of the lazy'), the question is to turn off emails, not to turn off notifications.
I want to turn off email because I have an other mean to receive these notifications.
I have been searching for days and still can't find it.I receive now notifications in Slack, and, I get spammed in emails.
JIRA could be better on this matter (emails).So the question remains, can we stop email notifications without changing the email (very bad idea btw) ?
Not without modifying the source code (bad idea)
Another up vote for the feature. Is there somewhere we can file a feature request?
My problem is that I have a bot account that's used to create issues. but the bot has an email account that is accumulating junk.
So it is not possible to turn the notification off for this bot based on roles. Since I do want all "Reporters" (as an example) to get email. EXCEPT if the reporter is a specific account.
I cannot configure the "Except" clause today.
It would be nice to have a higher-priority negative setting in the notification. "i.e. Exclude the person who is on the list for a specific event, not-withstanding the "include" clauses"
I have the same trouble and complication with combination to addons for emails. This notification generating the loop errors. To remove the user from notification schleme is not possible from all notifications schema. I vote up for have possibility switch off all notification for bot based roles. At the moment I can swith on /off only user own notification. We need to have admin access to switch OFF all notification for specific user account. I heard from Jira partners to having the same troubles for long time beeing.
Found this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-46004, where Atlassian says "they are thinking about it." that was 2 years ago...
Is it perhaps time to file a new suggestion?
I have resubmitted https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-68100 since there is no response for 46004.
Please vote up the suggestion if you find this useful like me.
Oh this is how Atlassian works, they just delete comments ! Very smart
Stuff that looks spam-like or insulting gets filtered or removed. Did you have a lot of links, code or bad language in your postings?
I am using Slack to get my notifications, so the emails are just duplicates and not needed. Would love a way to turn off email notifications for myself. A simple toggle on my profile would be awesome. I'm guessing there isn't as way yet?
I would be very happy to hear that it is possible to turn off email notifications as i already use slack integration and i am not happy with all the messy alerts from Jira in my mailbox ;(
Just turn them off for the whole project using the notifications schemes
How can I disable just email notifications within the project, but keep the Jira in app notifications?
Lack of such feature is ridiculous bad work from Atlassian. Compare to modern apps (Slack), where users are able to fine tune every aspect of notification flow.
Yeah, ton of stuff should pass from "we are thinking about it" to "it's urgent"... and they are still thinking about it 4 years later.
I'll gladly Upvote...
This ticketting system is a joke with its lack of many simple basic things. Confluence isn't any better. No multilingual support for article... ridiculous.
That is true.
Atlassian do you have a task on this in your pipeline?
Nothing new in 2019? Pending now for over 4 Years, are you serious???
It's not high on the to-do list, as it's not important to most users of Jira.
Jira 8 includes some changes to the way notifications work though, to make things easier to configure and reduce the volume of noise from Jira mails.
I hate Jira email notifications, they spam 80% of my inbox. Maybe most users are not affected, but some will hate the product because of it.
I doubt this is going to get much traction to be changed. I suggest you talk with your users to see what notifications they really want and what, if any, management wants. The first thing users should do is turn off notification for any updates they make if it isn't already the default when IDs are created. Most of my users don't want notifications every time an issue is updated. Most just want when an issue is assigned to them and reporters want to know when it is closed. To me everything else is superfluous. If they really want to track an issue they can make themselves watchers. If you remove the notifications from updated and all the other actions except assign and close I suspect your users will approve of that. Leave watchers on the updated action.
Yep, and admins like me rapidly learn to turn off all but the most essential ones - quite often I find myself setting up schemes that have a handful of "notify watcher" on some lines and little else.
If you use Slack, you can see the difference. Every user style is unique, so instead of trying find an average solution for all, it is better to let them fine tune their own notifications — great solution for everyone in the team.
@robkent self service so not to provide any service, nice
Unfortunately, I have this issue as well. We integrate with Active Directory, so everyone in the company is in the directory, although not all are "users", We had a prolific employee leave James Brown (jbrown@xyzco.com). His account went inactive. Then a new employee started, Janice Brown (jbrown@xyzco.com). She does not use Jira at all and has no account/role. However, on the sync with Active Directory, now everywhere jbrown is referenced, Janice Brown Appears (e.g. Reporter, Resolver, Comments, Assignee, etc.). Not a big issue. Except Notifications. Now Janice gets Jira Notifications for anything that would have previously gone to James. It wouldn't be bad, except, as I said, James was prolific, and Janice doesn't use Jira at all.
No solution to this yet. I did ask Janice change her name to Betty. She said no.
If she doesn't use JIRA James's ID should be inactive and removed from all project roles or groups and not getting any notifications
How I manage this in my 10k users instance of JIRA DC is, to create a role based notification setup - after getting lots and lots of complaints from the users
Create a set of new roles, purely for Notification. Example:
In notification scheme, set notification based on these role.
For role mild, normally i select all notification will be send on all action (these are for those over achiever micromanage managers)
For role active, only for key action will be send notification
For role none, none selected
I still keep default 'reporter'/'current assignee' type notification enabled for mentions or issue assigned stuff. Anything that considered vital notification.
Project admin can then control the notification themselves by assigning user accordingly to the project roles.
Does this help? https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/manage-your-jira-personal-settings-952074144.html
I got excited for a moment when I read about users setting their own email preferences in JIRA, but that ability is only available in Jira Cloud, unfortunately.
Thank you for this workaround!
https://xxxxx.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspaand there is it...
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.