I have a simple use-case: for almost all of our JIRA projects, I want to have a collection of users that can view/create tickets, and another that can view/create/be assigned/work tickets. So to me it seems as if I would use the 'users' and 'developers' roles.
So now I would like to assign users to a role. How do I do that? Per https://<name>.atlassian.net/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa I can assign default users, but there is even a note there specifying that default users only apply on project creation, so thats not helpful for me. There are groups https://<name>.atlassian.net/admin/groups that also share the label 'users' and 'developers' .. but, do roles just magically inherit from them ... wat?
In the past I've just gone through the permission schemes and assigned groups instead of roles, but that seems the wrong way to do it, yet the right way using roles seems to baffle me, and google searches are awash in others confusion, which doesn't help me.