How I can create empty line with Confluence? \\ isn't working in visual editor and editor just removes empty lines after saving. Can't figure out how anyone would like this to be default behavior.
Ooh, does that mean they finally fixed the blank line issue?
To answer your question of why that would be desirable, it's because a blank line is only useful to someone who confuses content with formatting. The confluence editor's best feature IMO is that its UX design is opinionated about generating clean content.
WYSIWYG?
A famously bad idea for generating clean content.
Very well. If a blank line is content, and you are concerned with formatting, there must be another way.
How would you achieve the formatting-goal of wanting some space between two document elements (for example, a bulleted list and a paragraph of text that follows it)?
In case it bothers someone, sorry for replying to a year-old comment.
The idea is that the content, in this case, is a bulleted list followed by a paragraph. The content model should only contain that information.
Deciding how content should be formatted for one method of display or another is done site-wide for consistency (CSS). Look at it this way: if you don't give the user the option of determining the amount of space between a bulleted list and following paragraph, then it will always be the perfectly-spaced, readable format. Not too much OR too little.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I appreciate the point. Formatting is not content.
I can apply bold or italics (formatting) to whatever text (content) I want, and make other formatting choices. I suppose the philosphical difference is one cannot abuse bold/italics as readily?
In the end, I did what I suspect most users will do: Lacking the privileges to make the change, not wanting my preferences to be site-wide, and facing a deadline for the document... I abused the system to get what I wanted. Some combination of adding an extra bullet, removing it, and typing a space. Horrid. I am guilty of crimes against content management.
The answer to the question is to Preformat your blank line. And then it works.
That is, don't make the blank line a normal paragraph, make it Preformatted.
Joshua Levy
Use Shift-Enter. Clumsy, but it works.
Thank you! That actually works!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.