Hi Shane,
It's one of the restricted functions in Cloud, presumably to prevent lots of high-load events being kicked off at the same time and affecting performance. You can ask Atlassian to re-index it for you.
Thanks for the response Rob. I presumed the same thing, but found it interesting that there does not seem to be any explicit statement confirming this is the reason - none that I could find anyway. In any case, if this is the reason, the current advice of having to submit a request to re-index content seems a little primitive given the search function is an essential part of almost every app, and especially important for a wiki.
I guess a solution I would prefer to see on Atlasssian’s “Restricted Functions in Confluence Cloud” page is something like, “Content indexing for Confluence Cloud is a System Administration function not available to Cloud users. Instead, Atlassian will re-index content for a Confluence instance each time it is found to increase by 5% (or a minimum once per month). The scheduling of this indexing function will be entirely at Atlassian’s discretion to ensure that there is no impact on system performance.”
The 5% and min 1 month frequency, are just notional thresholds for this example (I expect Atlassian would have the data to decide what thresholds would be best to use on the searchable content for an instance), but I’d have thought something along these lines would provide a reasonable balance that facilitates a generally useful search function and preserves performance. i.e. Users in most cases should be able to either: find the most recently edited pages in the “All Updates” list (i.e. containing content being actively worked on but not indexed yet), or otherwise search for (and find!) older content without having to first manually submit a request to Atlassian.
By all accounts this functionality was present in earlier versions of cloud. Vote for this ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-33400 to help bring it back
Thanks Rob. Looks like there's plenty of other people that are equally baffled as to why Atlassian removed it and why the company can't find a better indexing solution that provides reasonable search functionality. I've marked the answer as accepted and put the question directly to Atlassian in my support request.
I have the issue today with new pages not being available, was fine yesterday. what is the root cause of the issue?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.