I’m starting a new role as a DevOps Transformation Program Manager and I’m looking for practical guidance from someone experienced with Jira Cloud in engineering/DevOps environments.
I am not trying to become a Jira administrator. My goal is to become very strong at using Jira to support:
- demand intake
- capacity visibility
- BAU vs reactive vs project vs transformation work
- backlog management
- prioritization and tradeoffs
- dependencies
- sprint/flow planning
- JQL
- dashboards
- executive reporting
- roadmap visibility
I learn best through hands-on scenarios rather than generic tutorials.
For example, I’d like to work through situations such as:
- a CloudOps manager says the team has no capacity, but Jira appears to show only 50% allocated
- a large amount of engineering work is coming through Slack, meetings, incidents, and ServiceNow rather than Jira
- leadership wants a new priority added, but the team is already fully committed
- we need to distinguish planned work from reactive work and understand the real impact on capacity
- we want to create a lightweight intake and prioritization model without making engineers feel over-managed
I have created a small Jira Cloud sandbox where I can build sample data and practice.
I’d be very interested in connecting with someone who has experience using Jira Cloud with DevOps, Platform Engineering, CloudOps, or SRE teams and who would be open to a few 1-on-1 mentoring/coaching sessions.
What would you recommend I focus on first, and are there experienced Atlassian practitioners in the community who provide this type of mentoring?
I’m intentionally keeping the examples generic because this is a public forum.