I've been in the business way too long to be asking this question, but I'm in a new role and have some different circumstances than I'm used to dealing with.
I'll keep this simple to start with -- the context is JSM service requests and incidents. Multiple groups working in the same JSM space. And your tickets are using some kind of Group / Team field to designate the group to which a ticket is currently assigned.
Do you use one status for both "brand-new" tickets and existing tickets that have been "reassigned to a new group" -- or two separate statuses?
One status feels cleaner -- something like "In Triage" -- a new ticket lands in it and an in-progress ticket that gets reassigned to a different group goes back to it. It's the same state conceptually (sitting in a queue waiting for assignment).
Or are there legit reasons for two statuses like "New" and "Awaiting Reassignment" that should be taken into consideration?