This is incredibly frustrating. Automations are a lot of work and a lot of fine tuning and forcing me to recreate the wheel instead of modifying seems like unnecessary work.
And to add to the frustration I just realized if I choose scheduled as a trigger I can no longer select the multiple work item triggers I need for this to run.
Hi @Xenia Chilkowich
If you share with us the automation you've built we can give some indications on how to make it better, redo it.
Also if you can share with us what you need to achieve with the automation we can be of help./
Regards
Hi Xenia,
You will need to share some more details if you would like help with something.
Whenever you ask for help with an Automation Rule it will help us to help you if you provide:
1. what type of project is this (e.g., company-managed, team-managed, etc.),
2. images that show your complete rule.
3. images showing the details of any relevant actions/conditions/branches.
4. images showing the Audit Log details for the rule execution.
5. Explain where the issue is.
These questions are not for not willing to help, but to have community members understand on how automation works.
I am trying to change an existing automation that is real time to scheduled because we are exceeding our flow limits. This is team managed project and what I found in help tells me you have to delete the trigger and start all over. My original trigger had multiple conditions (work item edited, created, moved, etc.) I see that if I delete my trigger and start all over I have to select Scheduled and can no longer select multiple conditions. I don't understand why scheduling is treated like a trigger instead of an "option" so that I can still use the true trigger that I need.
I am not a JQL expert and this now becomes too difficult to manage.
Steps to Change the TriggerOpen your project and navigate to Project settings > Automation.Click on the automation rule you want to change.Find your current trigger (such as Manual or Issue created), hover over it, and click the trashcan icon to delete it.Click New trigger or add a trigger, and select Scheduled from the list.Choose how often you want the rule to run (e.g., every day, specific hours, or use an advanced CRON expression).Add a JQL search component or issue filter if your scheduled action needs to target specific issues.
Hi!
Still, we need to see the automation (send us a screenshot) to be able check if we can add, remove, redo it, and help you with that.
This is what I ended up putting together using Rovo but I'm not convinced it is right. I have very bad luck with Rovo and automations. It took me almost 4 hours to build all of these automations that I now have to change and it was a very painful process trying to get everything working correctly. I am very reluctant to make any major changes to anything I'm a product manager, not a programmer.
As you are not a Jira admin, but a space admin, automation you create in the space are bound the the sapce.
If you want the same automation to work on multiple spaces reach out to your Jira admin to help out, they can change the scope of an automaton to act on mulriple spaces on even globally.
The downside is that you can't manage the automaton anymore, only the Jira admins can.
But based on your screenshot and explanation, what do you want to change on your rule and what is not working?
thanks for the screenshot and YES!! this might look difficult at first but with practice you will get there and be better with automation.
Here in the community you have several (like a lot) of examples and use cases you can reuse.
Now into your automation, you mention:
> I am trying to change an existing automation that is real time to scheduled because we are exceeding our flow limits. My original trigger had multiple conditions (work item edited, created, moved, etc.)
Ill assume this was running when a work item was edited, created, moved. This will consume the automation really fast.
What you did , to change it to scheduled, its the best. once a week should be enough (but if you need this every day, that will work too. maybe at 9 am?)
> I don't understand why scheduling is treated like a trigger instead of an "option" so that I can still use the true trigger that I need.
Because they are different triggers. You cant have different triggers in the same automation.
Normally you will have one trigger (scheduled, transition, created, etc) and then the actions. if you need to do a different thing, then you create two automations, one for each trigger.
One thing we are missing its the edit work items action. can you send us a screenshot of what value are you adding to the Total Original estimate?
Are you copying the value from the parent into the childs?
Everyone thank you for the answers. The point I am trying to make is it shouldn't be so complicated to change the timing of an automation. Rather than forcing users to deal with multiple triggers and JQL, I believe it would be more efficient and simpler if there was simple an option called Timing (that is not a trigger but an option) leaving you to focus on your actual trigger requirements. I believe the automation I spent hours and hours creating is actually finally correct. I am honestly terrified to even think about playing with it again. Because it was a very frustrating experience to build these over and over again and have them fail and have to start all over again. The automations deal with a deficit around how JIRA will not consolidate estimates at the epic level and place on the card layout or not being able to show the aggregated task/story original estimates without creating custom fields and a complex automation to support it. In general I find dealing with estimates incredibly challenging in these JIRA Team managed projects. There are so many limitations and complexity with how it is tangled with time tracking (which I absolutely do not want to use).
I will share the exports to my automations but as I said I'm reluctant to do more of this reiterative stuff again.
Well apparently this forum won't let me attach an exported automation file so I guess I won't be sharing anything after all.
I cannot attach an export to this chat and the screenshot I would send you doesn't show the entire value. As you can tell I am really frustrated with the amount of work this has been and the difficulty of even trying to share items in this forum without having to do a bunch of extra steps. I mean even something as simple as providing a copy function on the Smart field would be nice. I had to try 3 different times to grab the entire JQL value before I could get and copy it all.
{{#=}} ({{issue.timetracking.originalEstimateSeconds|0}} + {{lookupIssues.timetracking.originalEstimateSeconds.sum|0}}) / 3600 {{/}}
I didn't say I wanted this to work across multiple spaces. And I have no idea if this Rovo proposed automation will work because I can't test it until September. I wasn't looking for a lot of tips as much as I was pointing out what I see as a flaw and frustration in automations.
So I created the new trigger with the scheduled trigger. And it is FAILING. I am so frustrated. I have spent hours and hours and hours on these automations. Is anyone aware of any existing enhancement request to be able to create a flow with a true work based trigger and have scheduling "options" so I don't have to continue to modify and essentially break my flow? I have spent at least 10 hours trying to solve for a basic limitation that JIRA Teams managed projects will not roll up estimates to the Epic level or show aggregated estimates on Tasks/Stories.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.