Hi Champions,
I'm working on a Jira field governance challenge and curious how others are tackling it.
The problem: when I want to modify or deprecate a Jira field (e.g., rename a value, change the field type, or remove it entirely), I can easily see where it's used, which projects have it on their screens or schemes. That part is straightforward.
What's much harder is understanding how the field data is being consumed downstream. A field might be referenced in:
- JQL — saved filters, board/backlog filters, dashboards, automation rules
- Exports — scheduled or ad-hoc exports where someone is expecting that column
- API integrations — internal tools or third-party apps querying by field name or value
- Reporting tools — BI dashboards pulling from Jira (e.g., via REST or a data connector)
Because of this, I'm exploring building a field dependency matrix, essentially a way for teams to register which fields they care about, how they use them, and how critical they are. Think of it as a self-service impact registry, so that before we make a change, we can notify the right people.
My questions for the community:
- Is there a programmatic way to audit JQL usage across filters, boards, and automation rules at scale? The Jira API exposes filters but I haven't found a clean way to parse JQL across the entire instance.
- Have you built anything like a field dependency registry — manual or automated? How did you get adoption?
Would love to hear how others are approaching Jira field lifecycle management at scale.
Thanks!
Want me to adjust the tone, trim it down, or post it directly if you have a community URL?