I'll be upfront at the start: I build in this space, so I have a bias — and that's exactly why I want to hear from people who do this daily before I trust my own conclusions.
The problem I keep circling: how do you keep a client genuinely informed about a Jira project when they don't have Jira access and never will — a marketing director or a business owner, not a PM? Technically informed is easy. Actually informed, in a way they read and trust, is the hard part, and I'd like to know what's worked for people in practice.
The patterns I most often see recommended are a weekly written summary (verdict first, then a few plain-language bullets, no ticket keys or story points), a shared Confluence page, or exporting a report. Each seems to break down somewhere:
- A written update is a snapshot, not a state — stale by mid-week, and if the client wonders on Wednesday they email instead of checking anywhere.
- Rewriting Jira into plain English by hand doesn't scale past a couple of projects.
- It's hard to tell if it even landed. No reply usually means "fine," occasionally it means "didn't read it, quietly unhappy."
So for people doing this regularly:
- What format did you land on, and what did you have to remove before people actually engaged with it?
- Does anyone push status somewhere the client can check on their own — a page, a dashboard — rather than emailing it? Does it actually get looked at, or does the email still do the work?
- Has anyone shortened the translate-Jira-into-plain-English step without the result sounding automated? My worry is that the moment an update reads like a machine wrote it, people stop trusting it — curious whether others have found that, or solved it.
Genuinely open to the answer being "it's just a manual writing job." That's a common conclusion, but I'd rather be shown a better one.