I haven't activated WFM yet, but now that it's GA on Premium and Enterprise, I've been thinking through how it lands on a service space that already has years of JSM operations behind it.
Here's what's on my list before flipping it on:
- Overlap with existing Operations features. JSM already has on-call scheduling and escalation policies built in. WFM adds its own shift scheduling and availability tracking on top. I haven't found a clear answer yet on whether these are meant to work together or whether WFM effectively replaces the old on-call setup for teams that adopt it. I saw someone else in the Community ask this same question on the GA announcement thread, so I don't think I'm the only one unclear on it.
- Automation rules that assign blind to capacity. If a space already has rules that auto-assign tickets to specific agents or queues, those rules don't know anything about the new capacity thresholds or availability status unless they get rebuilt around WFM's routing logic. That's real rework, not a toggle.
- Who owns keeping availability accurate. The intelligent routing only works as well as the availability data behind it. If marking yourself available or on a break becomes one more thing agents forget to do, the routing quietly degrades without anyone noticing until tickets start landing on the wrong desk.
- Schedules without an end date. Someone flagged this on the announcement thread too: schedules currently need an end date, which is awkward for services that run 24/7 across rotating day and night shifts indefinitely. Worth checking if that's changed since GA.
If anyone has WFM running already on a space with a mature on-call setup, I'd like to compare what actually happened with the overlap versus what I'm guessing here.