Hi everyone,
I’m looking for some advice from the community on a specific use case involving Confluence Knowledge Base / Jira Service Management.
I have a requirement to share training/instructional videos with a closed group of customers.
The requirements are:
- Videos should be accessible only to authenticated customers who belong to a specific customer group.
- Customers should be able to watch/preview the video directly in the Knowledge Base.
- Customers must not have a download option.
- The solution should preferably work with Confluence Cloud / JSM Knowledge Base without making the video publicly accessible.
I have already tested a few approaches:
Loom
I looked at using Loom and embedding the video into the Confluence page. However, from what I can see, this works properly only when the video is publicly accessible, which doesn't satisfy our requirement for restricted customer access.
Custom Confluence macro / Forge
I also considered creating a custom macro that embeds the video and hides the download links/buttons.
However, this isn't really secure because the underlying video URL can still be discovered through browser Developer Tools / Network requests. So even if the download button is hidden in the UI, the user can potentially retrieve the actual video URL.
Confluence attachments
The classic Confluence attachment approach is actually quite close to what I need because access can be restricted through Confluence/JSM permissions.
The problem is that the attachment player provides download functionality, and there doesn't appear to be a supported way to completely remove/disable the download option for specific video attachments.
Atlassian Guard
I am aware that Atlassian Guard provides some controls related to downloading content, but that doesn't fit our current setup and requirements.
My question is:
Has anyone implemented a similar solution where customers can stream/preview a video inside a Confluence/JSM Knowledge Base article while preventing them from downloading or directly accessing the video file?
I'm particularly interested in solutions that provide:
- Restricted access to a specific customer group
- Embedded video playback
- No download option
- No publicly accessible video URL
- Ideally, something that works natively with Atlassian Cloud or can be integrated with Confluence
I understand that "no download" is difficult to guarantee once a user is allowed to play a video, since the browser ultimately has to receive the video data. I'm mainly looking for a solution that prevents normal downloading and doesn't expose a directly usable video URL.
Any recommendations or real-world implementations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!