Hey everyone! 👋
I recently implemented automatic manager approvals in Jira Service Management and wanted to share my experience — including the good, the bad, and the workarounds. Hopefully this helps someone, and I'd love to hear how you've solved this.
🎯 The Challenge
A very common scenario: a user submits a request in JSM, and their immediate manager needs to approve it. No manual selection — fully automatic.
The problem? JSM doesn't have a native "get my manager" feature. So where do you get that information?
🔌 My Approach: JSM Assets - Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD) Beta Integration
Since our organization uses Microsoft Entra ID as the identity source of truth, I decided to use the JSM Assets - Microsoft Entra ID (Azure AD) Beta Integration to sync user data directly into Atlassian Assets.
📖 Official docs: https://support.atlassian.com/assets/docs/integrate-microsoft-entra-id-and-assets/
What it syncs well:
displayName, department, jobTitle, email among others
- Groups
The Manager → Employee relationship
What it doesn't sync:
🛠️ Bridging the Gap
Without the accountId, automation rules can't assign the manager as an approver. So I had to solve this separately:
Created a custom attribute (accountId) in the Employee object type in Assets
Built a script to automatically fetch and populate the accountId for new users synced from Entra ID (With Scriptrunner or Automation with Org API Token, i use Scriptrunner)
Bulk-updated all existing users in a one-time regularization
This connected the Entra ID identity with the Atlassian identity inside Assets.
⚙️ The Automation Rule
Once everything was linked, the automation was straightforward:
Trigger: Request created
Lookup: Find the Asset object where accountId matches the reporter
Navigate: From that object, get the linked Manager
Extract: Get the Manager's accountId
Action: Set the Approvers field
Fully automatic. Zero manual intervention.
😤 The Biggest Limitation: Manual Sync Only
Here's where the Entra ID Assets Connector falls short in its current beta state:
There is no automatic sync schedule. You can only trigger a sync by manually clicking a button in the admin console.
This means:
If someone gets a new manager in Entra ID → it won't update in Assets until an admin manually syncs
It creates an unnecessary dependency on the administrator
For production environments, this is a significant gap
I really hope Atlassian adds scheduled sync in a future release.
✅ The Result
It works. Approvers are assigned automatically.
Was it plug-and-play? Definitely not. But it delivered exactly what was needed.
💬 Now I want to hear from you:
How are you solving manager approvals in JSM? Are you using Assets, a marketplace add-on, or something else entirely?
Have you tried the Entra ID Assets Connector? What's been your experience with it?
How do you handle the accountId gap? Did you find a cleaner solution?
Is the manual-only sync a dealbreaker for you? Or have you found a workaround?
Let's compare approaches, I'm sure there are better ways to do this and I'd love to learn from your experience! 🙌