This rather recent article https://community.atlassian.com/forums/App-Central-articles/Colored-labels-are-now-available-in-Jira-BUT/ba-p/3201205 tells that colored labels are introduced to Jira, but in a form that one cannot oneself choose the color of the label --- according to the article, the color is chosen randomly.
As I'm in the task of setting up labels in a self-hosted instance which in some months will be migrated to the cloud:
Is this actually true? I didn't find any other source for that. Or is this just an intermediate state, and the ability to choose colors oneself is expected to be supported a bit later in the not-too-far future?
While the concept of colored labels would help us very much, we would need the ability to choose them ourselves, in order to be able to set up a senseful color concept, for different labels.
I.e. the half-finished concept described in the aforementioned article from our point of view would not improve things, but make things worse (and rises the question wether our concept how to set up things needs to be adapted).