Hi everyone,
I’m curious whether other teams have run into the same limitation on Jira Kanban boards.
Ideally, I would like issues to be automatically grouped and ordered by priority, while still being able to manually rearrange issues within the same priority group.
For example, a column such as Ready might contain 20 issues across several priority levels. I would like the board to:
- Keep all issues grouped by priority, with Highest at the top and Lowest at the bottom.
- Allow drag & drop between issues with the same priority.
- Prevent issues from being dragged across priority boundaries.
This would mean that I could freely rearrange 12 Medium-priority issues, but a Medium issue could not be placed above a High-priority issue or below a Low-priority issue.
At the moment, the available options do not seem to fully support this:
- Using
ORDER BY priority DESC in the board filter keeps issues sorted by priority, but disables manual ranking. - Using ranking allows drag & drop, but issues with different priorities can become mixed.
- Swimlanes by priority add visual complexity and do not provide the same constrained ranking behavior.
- Automation rules for adjusting rank can be complex and may not update the board in real time.
The behavior I have in mind would be similar to priority swimlanes, but without requiring separate swimlane configuration. Priority would act as a fixed grouping constraint, while rank would determine the order within each group.
Would this be useful for your team as well? How do you currently manage issue order when a Kanban column contains many issues with different priorities?