Hi everyone,
I'm interested in learning from people who have worked on freelancer platforms or other two-sided marketplaces.
I've noticed that many new platforms focus heavily on features, but workflow design often gets less attention. That can create extra work for both users and administrators.
Some examples I've seen:
- Clients can post projects, but there's no clear approval or review process.
- Freelancers submit work, but milestone approvals aren't well defined.
- Admins handle disputes manually because there isn't a structured workflow.
- Notifications don't match the actual project status, leaving users confused.
- Projects remain open long after they're completed because there are no automatic status updates.
- Different teams follow different processes, making reporting difficult.
For those who have managed or built freelancer platforms:
- What workflow mistakes have caused the biggest problems?
- Which processes did you redesign later?
- Were there any automation rules that made a noticeable difference?
- If you were starting again, what workflow would you implement from day one?
I'm particularly interested in practical lessons rather than specific technologies or products.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!