I changed to an API token but I continue to get the error message about changing to an API token when I try to pull down code
Hi @MartinCausley ,
Can you try this:
Any chance you can try using OAuth instead of API tokens? I've seen a couple of discussions around this and it would seem that OAuth works much better than this method. 👀 Also, if we're talking about API tokens, can you maybe try clearing out all auth credentials from credential manager and then re-adding the token to see if that will help? There are a couple of discussions/questions and answers around this area, so I'd recommend checking them out: https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Sourcetree-questions/unable-to-checkout-in-sourcetree-from-bitbucket-getting-error/qaa-p/3262557#M47533 https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Sourcetree-questions/SourceTree-Add-Edit-Account-with-API-Token/qaq-p/3263148 https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Sourcetree-questions/app-password-warnings-after-updating-Bitbucket-account-in/qaq-p/3252148
Any chance you can try using OAuth instead of API tokens? I've seen a couple of discussions around this and it would seem that OAuth works much better than this method. 👀
Also, if we're talking about API tokens, can you maybe try clearing out all auth credentials from credential manager and then re-adding the token to see if that will help?
There are a couple of discussions/questions and answers around this area, so I'd recommend checking them out:
Cheers,Tobi
Welcome to the Atlassian Community @MartinCausley
Can you please elaborate little bit more on the steps you are taking until you get the error?
Best,
Fadoua
Any luck @MartinCausley ?
Hi @MartinCausley 👋🏻
First of all, welcome to community! ✨
As @Tomislav Tobijas had mentioned above, please try OAuth instead of API tokens. Below are the steps to do the same:
1. Try switching to OAuth instead of API tokens
Go to Sourcetree → Preferences → Accounts
Remove your current Bitbucket account entry
Re-add it with Auth Type: OAuth
Follow the browser-based login flow when prompted
This bypasses the API token issues entirely and is the recommended path if you're hitting persistent errors.
2. If you want to stick with API tokens — clear all cached credentials
The old credentials are likely still being picked up even after you've configured the token:
macOS: Open Keychain Access → search for bitbucket and sourcetree → delete all matching entries
bitbucket
sourcetree
Windows: Open Credential Manager → remove any Bitbucket/Sourcetree entries under Windows Credentials or Generic Credentials
Then go back to Sourcetree → Preferences → Accounts, remove the account, and re-add it fresh with the API token
Hope this helps! 🙂
Thanks,Anwesha
please provide us more information about error message received so that we can try to help you on that.
Fabio
@MartinCausley
Are you still having the problem you reported? if yes can you please share a screenshot?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.