Hi,
I’m currently using Jira Premium Cloud for a Scrum project and trying to understand the best way to use the Plans feature for capacity planning.
We’re still relatively new to Jira and are moving away from manual planning methods. I’ve started estimating work using both story points and hours so we can track team velocity while also understanding individual workload.
During sprint planning, I expected Jira Plans to help validate whether assignments are realistic based on each person’s available capacity. For example, I was hoping it would highlight when someone has more estimated work assigned than they can complete within a sprint.
However, Jira still allows me to assign and schedule issues even when the workload seems to exceed the person’s available hours. The auto-scheduler adjusts the timeline but doesn’t appear to flag capacity problems or over-allocation.
Am I missing a configuration option, or is this not how Jira Plans handles capacity planning? What is the recommended way to identify workload issues and balance assignments before committing to a sprint?
Thanks!