I am using Portfolio 2.
I have 4 Release, they all have fixed release dates and "as early as possible" start date.
All Jira stories have story-points assessments, none is manually assigned to a Resource and all are assigned to one of the 4 Releases.
I have one Board and one Team with 5 resources.
I have setup Skills (and assigned to resources) but not Stages and all Stories in the Portfolio are allocated to Resources appropriately.
I have not manually defined and sprints yet and no Blocking Dependencies between issues.
I have some placeholder stories which are 30 - 60 story points long and exceed sprint (3 weeks) boundaries.
When Portfolio auto-plans the schedule and capacity, my first and second releases are slightly overdue although each release is only at 50% capacity and there is ample free capacity from ALL resource. What seems to be happening is that portfolio allocates resources to consecutive releases during previous releases and before fully allocating the the previous releases.
Its true I defined the releases to start as early as possible but it is totally non sensible to allocate resources to later releases before fully allocating the previous ones. The resulting schedule is far from optimal schedule and resources utilization. If on the other hand I define the releases to start only at the end of their predecessors, the first 2 release fit into schedule but I get great gaps of non utilized resources which is far from optimal as well. There are no obvious constrains that would prevent optimal planning.
Is there a way to encourage/force Portfolio's automatic planning to fully allocate earlier releases before allocating later ones?