how do I generate a Zephyr API key for the Zephyr MCP server. I am using cursor to attempt to connect to my Zephyr instance. I have already installed a Zephyr MCP server. When I attempt to connect to Zephr this is what I get from cursor
What you need to do
- In Jira, open your profile (bottom-left avatar) → Zephyr API keys (or Zephyr Scale → API keys).
- Generate a new Zephyr Scale API key.
- In
<span>~/.cursor/</span><span>mcp.json</span>, set ZEPHYR_API_KEY to that Zephyr key (not the Jira token). - Keep
JIRA_USERNAME and JIRA_API_TOKEN as they are — those are for Jira issue linking only. - Reload MCP servers in Cursor: Settings → MCP → restart/reload the
zephyr-server.
After you update the key
Say “retry Zephyr” and I can run get_folders for project STAF to confirm the connection.
If you share the Zephyr API key (or paste it into <span>mcp.json</span> yourself), I can verify the connection end-to-end. I won’t put secrets in chat unless you explicitly want that.
Within Jira, I cannot find any reference to creating a Zephyr API Key.